On Thursday 28 April 2005 11:55, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 10:41 +0100, Edward Catmur wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 16:25 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > > Is this a feature or a bug? It seems that emerge -C will not remove any
> > > altered files from /etc/ once it has been changed.
> > >
> > > This really leaves some cruft in my /etc/ Is this due to config-protect
> > > or is it something else??
> >
> > No, portage will not remove any files that have been changed (actually,
> > had their mtime altered) wherever on the filesystem they reside.
>
> Which is what I would expect. But it doesn't seem to the case for me.
>
> I installed synergy and then removed it but the conf file was still
> around.
>
> Maybe there's something I'm not doing??
>
> > This is a feature.

from "emerge --help config":

In addition to protecting overwritten files, Portage will not delete any files
from a protected directory when a package is unmerged.  While this may be a
little bit untidy, it does prevent potentially valuable config files from
being deleted, which is of paramount importance.