relatively simple. the general idea is thus:

1. make a directory, say

mkdir /mnt/target

2. untar a stage3 tarball into there, for the architecture you want.

3. mount various directories

mount -t proc none /mnt/target/proc
mount -o bind /usr/portage /mnt/target/usr/portage
cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/target/etc/resolv.conf

4. chroot

su
chroot /mnt/target /bin/bash

then carry on as per the install instructions. Do not reinstall grub as
you will screw your existing setup.

When finished tar up /mnt/target and transfer to the new machine. setup
grub. go.

Actually though you would find it easier to use the recent 2005.0
packages cd.

On Sun, 01 May 2005 17:39:43 +0200
Jan Hübner wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I want to build a complete Gentoo system on my PC to save a friend the
> time for compiling. The question I have is: what do I need to take care
> of if my machine is a Pentium 4 and his is an Athlon? I know that if I
> choose my CFLAGS like march=i686 the code will run on both machines, but
> i want to optimizie for his architecture.
>
> Any hints? Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english ;)
>
> Jan
>

> --

Nick Rout
Barrister & Solicitor