On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 15:29 +0200, YoYo Siska wrote:
> when we did some backups of partitions from one computer to another
> (and
> then clone the partition to few other computers), we did it rougly in
> this way:
>
> first make the free space easily compressible, for example  zero-ing
> it
> ( dd if=/dev/zero of=some_file_on_the_partition
> till it stops on 'disk full', then rm some_file_..., but there may be
> better ways)
>
> then on the second computer (were we wanted the backup):
> nc -l -p 7777  -q 0 | gunzip | pv >backupfile
>
> and on the first computer
> cat /dev/hda1 | pv | gzip | nc othermachine 7777

Wow.. That's a cool way to do things.

The other way to do it, without having the need to use nc (netcat) would
be to use ssh instead. I do it either

1. tar -cf / . | ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED] "tar -xvf - -C /"
2. rsync -av / [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/

#1 would be preferred over #2 since it uses tar and it streams
everything block by block rather than file by file like rsync.

Note also that one can also choose to use the blowfish cipher instead of
the default RSA/DSA(??) via "ssh -c blowfish"

Rsync would be good if I needed to do backups only.

Can someone help me with this, how can I use dd over the network?

eg: something like
<pseudo code>
dd if=/dev/hda | ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED] "of=/ "

something like that... is it possible?

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz