I don't have a suggestion, but I'm very sympathetic. I've always hated Apache configuration, it seems like a mass of well-hidden options without a robust gui designed to give web site admins a headache. :-)

-Pingveno

Eric S. Johansson wrote:

I have spent a way too much time in the past week screwing around with Apache configurations. The final straw was when I took a working configuration, change the domain name and it failed without telling me why or where.

so I'm looking for an alternative. What I need is something that has the following characteristics:

Virtual hosts
virtual hosts server name aliases
404 handler for different URLs (ie. http://www.demo.com/ and http://www.demo.com/sub/ should be able to have different handlers)
REDIRECT_URL properly set during a 404 events
CGI
directory level access control
works with mailman

there are probably other things that would be nice but I'll probably find them out when I try to use it.

I have already tried and failed with lighttpd. it fails on the REDIRECT_URL test as well as rather difficult workarounds for server name aliases.

so I would welcome suggestions about alternative Web servers that are reasonably alive.

---eric

-- Linux User #340304