-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: [gentoo-user] Are there ANY working wireless cards?
Date:   Tue, 10 May 2005 22:45:32 +0300
From:   Matan Peled <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:     gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org

> Colin wrote:

> Just got around to trying to boot Gentoo 2005.0 on my desktop. My hard
> drive controller is now natively supported (Highpoint HPT372N), so the
> LiveCD booted without a problem. But now my wireless adapter (D-Link
> DWL-120+) isn't supported, since I don't have any network devices other
> than eth0 (wired) and lo. Seeing as how this is my Internet connection,
> I'm stuck yet again. (I'm not a big fan of stage3 installs.)
> > Since I (strangely enough) have money in my wallet, are there any
> wireless cards that are natively supported in Gentoo?

If you have 22mbps hardware, you want the DWL-520+ (Same chipset, PCI version).
Its 'natively supported' (emerge acx100), but you do need an initial Internet
connection to download the driver. You could download it somewhere else and put
it on a CD/Floppy, of course.

But don't pull out that wallet yet!

genstef, the Gentoo dev that maintains the acx100 package (which also provides a
kernel module for your wireless device, acx_usb) wants you to contact him.

Send him an e-mail at <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

I'm emailing this message to the list as well as to you, genstef, just in case someone on-list (or reading the archives at a later date) can benefit from this. Correct me if this is a no-no.

All right, you wanted me to email you.  That's been done.  Now, to setup my
hardware, I think I'll do this.
I've got one working Gentoo install right now, and then I've got my main
computer.  This is what I'll do:
1. "emerge --fetchonly acx_usb acx100" on my working Gentoo system to download
the sources.
2. "emerge --pretend acx_usb acx100" to get a file listing of the ACX packages.
3. Copy the ACX packages to my USB key, and then move them to my distfiles
directory on my wireless machine.
4. "emerge acx_usb acx100" on the wireless machine.
5. Continue with Gentoo installation.

If I copy over all the distfiles from the working machine as well as the
stage1-x86 and Portage tarballs
(which I can download in Windows), then I can theoretically do a stage1 install
without my wireless connection,
which will make me happy.  Does that sound feasible?  (And at what point during
the installation does the
emerge command become usable?)

--
Colin