On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 07:25:08PM -0700, rob3 wrote

> For using CDRW, etc I only know about how to use ide-scsi by passing to
> the kernel during boot.   But I get a warning during boot that it is
> deprecated, and instead I should be using ide-cd and give dev=/dev/hdX
> as device.  So I tried putting in hdc=ide-cd and I got an error message
> saying it was invalid.  I wonder what I am doing wrong?

  That is no longer necessary at all.  Try the following two commands
and let us know what output you get from them.

cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus
cdrecord dev=ATA -scanbus

  I find that both commands work on my system, but "ATA" returns results
immediately, whilst "ATAPI" sits for a few seconds before outputting.
You can ignore the dire warnings about running under kernel 2.5 (unless
you're running a 2.5 kernel for some obscure reason).  That was a
beta-test series, and problems are to be expected.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will