* On May 13  9:06, Mark Knecht (gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org) wrote:
> My world file is 235 lines long. How screwed up is that really? How
> long it yours?

My world file is 135 lines, and I run a fairly minimalist desktop system
(no DE, just good ole fvwm).  For a system with kde, gnome, and fluxbox,
235 doesn't seem out of line at all.

> Just glancing through the file I spot very few things that wouldn't be
> installed whether they were in in the world file or not, but I do have
> 28 gnome entries and certainly some of them are not end user Gnomish
> things, like gnome-base/librsvg.
>
> I presume this is the 'cruft' you're talking about?

(Not that I was talking about, but) yes, that sort of thing is world-file
cruft.  You can delete pretty much any library from world, unless you
specifically need it, such as if you're a developer who works with it
(and in that case, you'd know.)

The general rule is to delete anything you don't recognize and use
directly.  You can `emerge -pv depclean` to check if there any straggler
programs that you still want, but portage won't remove anything that can
hurt you as long as you have your important apps in world (which covers
deps) and you've checked an `emerge -pvD --newuse world` for changed USE
flags.

> I have a problem with Portage and Gnome specifically. If I want to
> emerge Gnome portage wants to emerge in Evolution. I don't use
> Evolution but I didn't know how to get what I wanted (Gentoo is about
> choice even if Gnome is not...) so I emerged the pieces and got what I
> wanted. (And a longer world file...)
>
> How should I have gone about getting Gnome without Evolution?

You should use the gnome-light package, which only includes essentials,
rather than the bloated gnome package, which is designed to match
upstream.  What I did when I used gnome was to create a gnome-medium
package in my overlay that included gnome-light and the other gnome apps
I wanted.  That keeps the system clean for you and covers deps.  Each
person's gnome-medium would vary, of course.

Tom