I have a machine configured to use gcc 3.4.3 and thats fine but today I was wondering if it is possible to do away with gcc 3.3.5. I think it is still used when kernel is recompiled. Now I could swear recently I read something in a post about overriding gcc version used to compile the kernel and maybe it had to do with some make.conf flag. I spent some time googling, searching gentoo forums (cannot seem to search for version numbers there) and gentoo wiki but I havent turned up much. Surely my searching skills have gone bad, I cannot imagine being the first to ask this question. What I am asking is:
0. Is there a HOWTO that I have blatantly missed?
1. Does the kernel compile with gcc and is it stable?
2. Is there a gentoo way to override compiler version used for the kernel compilation. If not but it is perfectly ok to compile the kernel with gcc 3.4 how does one get the kernel compile system to use particular gcc version?
3. Are there other packages that override the default gcc, maybe like ?

Thanks,
Eugene.