david wrote:
Thanks for the reply.I'm new to this so your explanation really
helps.The dsl modem's set-up page is at 192.168.1.254.It is also the
default gateway.Here is resolv.conf;
domain no-ip.info
nameserver 192.168.1.254
nameserver 192.168.1.254
search launchmodem.com
I have a static address.

2. It appears to me odd that your DSL MODEM has an IP address, but you're
running a server behind it.  Usually, I see the DSL MODEM acting
transparently.  So the setup looks more like:

I tried setting the gateway to my static address but that didn't
work.When I set it at 192.168.1.254 it connects me to the WAN.

I would not be surprised that I,m going about this in the wrong
way,because all I do is search google and I'm sure I make mistakes.

On the modems set-up page is the pppoe user name and password for bell south my isp.The box at 192.168.1.96 is this box that I use all the time and I am also serving web pages(apache2,php4,mysql) etc.I did two things in the modems.I opened port 80 and forwarded it to 192.168.1.96.This took me a while to figure out. I have a dlink router here but when I try to access the configuration page 192.168.0.1 I get a connection refused.again thanks
I think (because I tried alot of the same things you've tried) that Bellsouth-the ISP
doesn't like people running personal webservers. What problems I had was trying
to resolve DNS issues so that they could find my server-they were being routed through
Bellsouth's DNS nameservers and I found out that you probably will want to use dynds?
(outside DNS nameservers) to resolve the DNS problem.
If you get this working you will have done something I couldn't, so keep trying! Although
like the other fellow said, it's going to be difficult.
Regards,

--
Edward A Mihalow Jr   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gentoo Linux! Registered Linux User#225662