On 5/13/2005 9:55 AM Stroller wrote:

On May 12, 2005, at 8:10 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I already have Postfix running and I happily read email on my server,
but I'd like to read my email on my IMAP/SSL cellphone client. I've seen
Courier, UW, and Cyrus, and perhaps there are others. Any
recommendations, for or against?

I really like Courier-IMAP, which is Courier without maildrop or the webmail. I installed maildrop separately, but use Squirrelmail for the latter. As a client I mostly use Apple's Mail.app, but have also used Entourage, kMail and Outlook Express happily.

I've been accessing my Courier-IMAP mailboxes from the Windows Mobile client on my new phone sporadically for the past two or three weeks. It seems to work well, with the proviso that the client doesn't seem delete to messages from the server when I delete them on the phone's inbox, and that I can't view sub-folders. I suppose it's possible this is because I have something configured wrong, or because I've simply never waited for the 10,000 messages in my typical sub-folder to synchronise, but it doesn't matter to me, because I simply want to be able to access an up-to-date inbox on my IMAP server. I can move messages from my inbox to sub-folders, and this works perfectly, so I suppose you could delete items from your inbox by moving them to Trash.

This is a known problem with the Windows Pocket Outlook email client and Courier IMAP (and probably most if not all IMAP servers). I don't quite get it but it has to do with the client not recognizing 'namespace'. For example, Pocket Outlook sees all my folders as "Inbox.folder". Thus 'Deleted Items' is seen by Pocket Outlook as 'Inbox.Deleted Items' . Since a "Delete" in Pocket Outlook is really a "move to Deleted Items" this fails because "Deleted Items" does not exist - only "Inbox.Deleted Items".

The only workaround I have found is as you mention, move the item to the appropriate folder. If anyone has found another way, I'd be very happy to hear about it.

Cheers,

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse