On 5/14/2005 12:54 PM Richard Fish wrote:

Drew Tomlinson wrote:

insmod: error inserting 'advansys.ko': -1 Invalid module format

So is this because the module really won't work with Gentoo 2005.0? Or does this have something to do with 'depmod'. I'm beginning to
think that what I'm trying to do isn't possible, short of installing
on my IDE drive and then building my own LiveCD with all the required
parts. I can't believe it's supposed to be this hard. I must be
missing the obvious.

The problem loading the module is probably due to the difference in kernel versions or compilation options. I am not surprised that the module from 2.6.9 didn't work...

You best bet may be to do an initial installation to the IDE drive,
build a custom kernel there with the Advansys SCSI driver, then transfer
the system to your SCSI disk.  That should be faster than making a
custom live CD.

Thanks. I finally got the system installed via a Knoppix CD. Since Knoppix included the Advansys driver, I was able to install directly to my SCSI drives as I wished. Ironically, Knoppix did not see my IDE card attached to the PATA port on my Promise 150 SATA controller. :) But no matter, once I built Gentoo and used genkernel with slight modification (i.e. adding the Advansys support), everything is working fine. Now if I could just get MythTV running! :)

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse

http://www.alchemistswarehouse.com