I recompiled my kernel with ALSA enabled and my card (Dell OEM Aureal Vortex,
driver snd-au8820) compiled as a module, which I added to
/etc/modprobe.conf/kernel-2.6.  I tried to emerge alsa-drivers, but it said it
was unnecessary.  I emerged alsa-utils successfully.

When I went to run alsaconf, it said three times before the menu came up, "modinfo:
could not find module snd"  alsaconf seemed to work perfectly, and then it exited
with a cheerful message.

Starting the alsasound service goes like this:
* ERROR: Failed to load necessary drivers
* Restoring Mixer Levels...
* No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card!   [ ok ]

I've attempted to modprobe snd-au8820 and its dependencies, snd-mpu401-uart and
snd-ac97-codec before (re)starting alsasound, but that doesn't work, either.

I followed the Gentoo ALSA guide to the letter.  Once again, I must have
misconfigured my kernel.  (And yes, lspci now finds my soundcard.  Didn't
change anything, though.)

I did all this from xterm within GNOME (logged in as myself but su'ed to root
in the terminal), but that's probably not a problem since I've rebooted but
still get the same errors when alsasound loads at runlevel 2 (boot).

--
Colin