Janne Johansson wrote:

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 03:31 -0400, Colin wrote:
I shut down my computer normally. When I turned it on, though, after logging into GNOME about an hour ago, I'm still waiting for it to boot. I enter my password, wait forever, and then the Gentoo logo pops up. Wait forever again, and then the icons appear in the box, and then the box disappears. Now I'm still waiting forever.

Anybody know what's going on?  GNOME never used to do this before.

I had similar problems a while back. My problems were related to the
gnome profile that I had messed up somehow. You could try removing
the .gnome* and .gconf* directories form your home directory.

I added .old to the directory names, but it didn't work. GNOME still starts up very, very slowly. I waited until I could get System Monitor to open up. I noticed that X was using well over 50% of the CPU at all times. System Monitor took up a good 30% chunk, but that's probably becuase I had the update interval very low.

--
Colin