Pupeno wrote:
> Hello,
> I was using s/mime with gpgme on another distro and then, when I tried to use
> it on Gentoo I've found out KMail claimed s/mime was not supported, I did the
> re-scan and it says gpgme is compiled without s/mime support, so, a fast grep
> showed me this:
> /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc:app-crypt/gpgme:smime - Add smime support
> so I enabled that USE flag, only to latter found that it is not beign used:
> # emerge -vp gpgme
>
> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies ...done!
> [ebuild   R   ] app-crypt/gpgme-1.0.2  814 kB
>
> Total size of downloads: 814 kB
>

> Is it me or there's something wrong here ?
> Thank you.
Hi,

it's neither you nor is there something wrong. GnuPG 1.4.1 is the latest
stable version in Gentoo, and it does not support s/mime. So the ebuild for
gpgme is a little modified and does not recognize the smime USE flag.

You have to unmask GnuPG 1.9.15 (as root, do
echo "=app-crypt/gnupg-1.9.15 ~<arch>" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
) and emerge it. Then you should create a portage overlay for gpgme, modify
the ebuild for 1.0.2:
comment out the line
IUSE=""
and uncomment these lines
#IUSE="smime"

#   !smime? ( >=app-crypt/gnupg-1.2.2 )
#   smime? ( >=app-crypt/gnupg-1.9.6 )

After that, re-emerge GnuPG and gpgme. Then you should have s/mime. Be aware
that GnuPG 1.9.x is still considered unstable respectively beta by its
developers and/or the Gentoo maintainers.

HTH

- --
Dirk Raeder

I prefer encrypted and signed messages. My GPG key is available at
hkp://blackhole.pca.dfn.de with ID 0x05EB5446

Registered Linux user #378554
http://counter.li.org