On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 18:00 +1000, Ezequiel Tolnay wrote:
> Iain Buchanan wrote:
>
> >>Hi, I have a decent desktop with gentoo, and an old and slow
> >>Pentium-266Mhz notebook, where I would like to install Gentoo.
> >>
> >>Can anyone suggest me how to use my fast processor to do the
> >>installation, perhaps mounting a drive using NFS and doing a chroot,
> >>
> >The other way of doing it is distcc.  You set your desktop up as a
> >distcc server, and install it on your laptop.
> >
> Thanks for your advise, I'm putting it now in practice. I'm installing a
> stage 1 Gentoo on the notebook, and I've been following the guidelines
> from the handbook, and its link to the use of distcc.
> It is now installing, but I've noticed that, viewing the desktop's "top"
> output, the desktop doesn't seem to be running gcc or cc. I spotted cc1
> only once (I doubt it would have been by a local process at that time),
> but what I do see are a few instances of distccd popping in and out of
> existance every now and then, but using very little cpu power. Is it
> perhaps taking but rejecting the requests?

Perhaps.  (I haven't used distcc for a while, so it may have changed).
Watch the compile text closely, and you should see whether distcc is
succeeding to pass off jobs or not.  If it fails, you get some message
like "failed to conect to job server, waiting for 2 minutes" (this is
really stretching my memory!!) and then the compile will continue
locally.

Remember, some ebuilds disable distcc; some ebuilds override the -j
option; and ./configure will always run locally.

I heard that distcc devs were looking into making it more secure, so
maybe there's something you need to do on the server now to "allow"
certain clients.

Also try a distcc log if there is one somewhere...  sorry I'm not much
more help but as I said, I don't really use it anymore.

--
Iain Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>