Neil Bothwick wrote:

> On Fri, May 27, 2005 2:27 am, Gabriel M. Beddingfield said:
>
>> This sounds like you need to re-emerge the driver for your NIC.  For
>> example, every time I upgrade my kernel I have to do something like this:
>>
>> # cd /usr/src
>> # rm linux
>> # ln -s newkernel linux
>
> If you set the symlink USE flag, this is taken care of automatically when
> emerging a new kernel source.

Thanks, I didn't know that was there.

However, I'm not sure that's what I want unless the USE flag also
updates .config, builds the new kernel, installs it, updates grub, emerges
all my other kernel-module-dependent ebuilds, and then tries to figure out
why the new kernel doesn't work because someone updated the functionality
of some driver (with a *minor* side-effect that it breaks my system).
Because of this somewhat long admin process, I often don't want the symlink
updated until I can get around to building the new kernel.

US $ 0.02

--
                     G a b r i e l   M .   B e d d i n g f i e l d