Optimization level 9 (-O9)?  Thats a laugh.  Read the GCC man page, the
optimization levels are just groupings of other optimization flags (-O1, -O2,
-O3, -O0, -Os), with optimization level 3 (-O3) containing the most
optimization flags.  The numbers don't correlate to any kind of optimization
level (i.e. -O99 wouldn't be "99%" optimized or some equivilent malarky).  The
numbers might as well be letters like A, B, C....  In fact, if you know
anything about programming, most of the -O3 flags and beyond become very code
specific, and sometimes only work with programs written a certain way or run on
certain processors.    This just goes towards my general opinion that Gentoo
users in general see gcc cflags as some kind of magic incantation and no little
about their purpose, potential, or meaning.  -funroll-loops anyone?

-Ryan Lynch