Try the gphoto web site and you will see this staring you in the face:

http://www.gphoto.org/news/

in short support was added for your camera in 2.1.5. The latest gphoto2
in portage stable is 2.1.4, but 2.1.5 is in ~x86. I suggest you try
that, after searching bugs.gentoo.org for any major problems.

You can get a list of supported cameras with

gphoto2 --list-cameras|grep -i argus, which on version 2.1.4 returns:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] movies $ gphoto2 --list-cameras|grep -i argus
        "Argus DC-100"
        "Argus DC-1500"
        "Argus DC-1510"
        "Argus DC-2000"
        "Argus DC-2200"

Once you have 2.1.5 installed it should be a matter of plugging it in
and going:

mkdir pics
cd pics
gphoto2 -P   [1]

Alternatively, if it has memory cards (as opposed to its own built-in
non removable memory) you can buy a card reader - they are cehap and
solve all such problems.

[1] if you get permission problems there is a very good section in the
gphoto2 online docs about setting up USB to solve the problem.

http://www.gphoto.org/doc/manual/permissions-usb.html