On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 17:39 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 5/29/05, Bob Sanders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Sun, 29 May 2005 14:02:03 -0700
> > Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >    Does udev somehow not support mounting by label?????
> > >

> > It's needs the device - /dev/hdxx defined somewhere.  Normally this is
> > defined
> > in /etc/fstab.  I'd guess that somewhere along the way, the labels were
> > defined
> > in a devfs conf file on the system, thus it appeared devfs was
> > auto-magically working
> > with labels.  You could probably define labels for udev if you really
> > wanted to.
> >

> Partition labels are placed on partitions when you make the file system:
>
> mke2fs -j -L TVstorage /dev/sdb2
>
> (Assumes a file system that supports labels.)
>
> Then you can read the label using
>
> e2label /dev/sdb2
>
> When booting if the fstab file has
>
> LABEL=TVstorage /TVdata
>
> then it mounts the first partition it finds with the lable TVstorage
> at the mount point /TVdata
>

> > Just add the partitions to /etc/fstab -
> >
> >         /dev/sda3       /  (and the rest of the line)
> >         /dev/sda8       /home/herb  (and the rest of the line)
> >         /dev/sda6       /usr/portage (and the rest of the line)
> >         /dev/sdb2       /TVstorage (and the rest of the line)
> >
> > Bob
>
> This is, unfortunately, a very bad idea for removable media. What was
> sdb2 today will become sdc2 tomorrow and the suggestion you make will
> not work.

Actually, isn't it a simple thing such that one can write udev rules
such that that disk will always be referred as TVstorage no matter if
it's sda/sdb/sdc/etc?? It can use for example, the DISK's or partitions
ID/Number etc.

Also, if you're on Gnome and you not heard of Project Utopia/Gentopia,
perhaps it's time for you to visit it and read about it.

Ps : Is /dev/sdb2 a removable disk? if so, perhaps gnome-volume-manager
can help (along with gamin/inotify/hal/dbus)

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!