cothrige wrote:

The one thing you could try is pre-downloading all the tarballs you are
likely to need for the bootstrap, kernel and various utils you need, burn
them to a CD, then put them in the /usr/portage/distfiles during the
install...

I may have to look into that.  Unfortunately that many individual
files is tough to download as I cannot monitor the computer I am using
and generally have to go in early, click a download and come back much
later to burn it.  It is a Windows machine which makes it tougher for
me to use things like wget scripts which could be put together for my
computer.  But perhaps it is an option I can work on.
No, it works perfectly this way. I've done it. With this trick, I went to school with a CD-RW and grabbed all the files I needed, plus the stage1 and Portage tarballs. Just don't update Portage or run "emerge --sync" until you get a network connection or else it may want to download updated sources.

There's a Windows version of wget somewhere out there. Get that, and get a list of all the files you need (something like "emerge -fpu system 2> filelist.txt"). Then go to a DOS prompt and type wget -i filelist.txt. Finally, you play the waiting game...

--
Colin