Holly Bostick wrote:
Hi all,

I seem to have painted myself into a corner, and hope that someone can
see a way out before I repeat my previous mistakes.

The short version is that, after my previous thread about removing an
extra version of Python (2.4.1 when I already had 2.3.5 installed),
Portage now wants to re-emerge Python 2.4.1, and I can't seem to prevent
it.

At this time, I do not want to emerge Python 2.4.1 to a new slot, as it
breaks Pysol seemingly unrepairably (java-config also broke, but was
repaired by a re-emerge, Pysol was not repaired by a re-emerge). Yes, I
know Pysol is not "important" per se, but I don't want to break a
package I use, and the breakage indicates that other things that I value
more highly might get broken (I just don't know what they are).

The long version of what I was trying to do and the current situation:

This all started because I wanted a reliable system for automounting
removeable media (CD/DVD). I love supermount, but I'm trying to live in
the present. Submount works, but is not reliable (stops working after
some period of time, dismounts automatically but doesn't mount
automatically), and my previous experience with hal/dbus/ivman is not good.

However, there is a new version of ivman which sounds really good, but
it's only available from the gentopia overlay. Fine. Installing that
upgraded hal, dbus, the new ivman, and installed Python 2.4.1. Except
that dbus wouldn't compile with the python USE flag set, so I removed
it, which allowed it to compile, but meant (afaics) that I no longer
needed Python 2.4.1.

So, I got rid of it, as you know from my "Unmerging 'extra' Python"
thread. The whole hal/dbus/ivman scheme isn't working anyway atm because
(to the best of my understanding):

1) I have not yet configured, compiled and installed a kernel with the
correct version of the inotify patch that either hal, dbus or gamin
needs (I've emerged mm-sources 2.6.12-something but have not yet
compiled it);

2) GNOME is broken atm (which hopefully I can fix when I get the kernel
upgraded and the gentopia backend working);

3) KDE doesn't like the upgraded versions of hal and dbus, and so the
media kio slaves don't work on my current setup.

#3 is the lynchpin here, as an emerge sync has just made KDE 3.4.1
available. This wants to downgrade dbus and hal, which is fine, and
wants to install Python 2.4.1, which is not.

I then removed the gentopia overlay, and ran the potential uaDtv world
again; now Portage wants to downgrade hal, dbus, ivman, and gamin (also
fine), but still wants to emerge Python 2.4.1.

Here's the relevant output:

[nomerge      ] net-www/mplayerplug-in-2.80  +gtk2
[nomerge      ]  net-libs/gecko-sdk-1.7.5  +crypt -debug +gnome +java
+ldap -moznomail -moznoxft -postgres +ssl -xinerama +xprint
[nomerge      ]   app-crypt/gnupg-1.4.1  +X +bzip2 +caps +curl -debug
+ecc +idea +ldap +nls +readline (-selinux) -smartcard +zlib
[nomerge      ]    mail-mta/ssmtp-2.61  -ipv6* -mailwrapper -md5sum +ssl
[ebuild     U ]     net-mail/mailbase-0.00-r9 [0.00-r8] -pam 0 kB
[ebuild     U ] kde-base/ksvg-3.4.1 [3.4.0] -arts* -debug
+kdeenablefinal +kdexdeltas -xinerama 0 kB
[nomerge      ] x11-misc/xscreensaver-4.20  -debug +gnome +gtk +jpeg
-kerberos -krb4 +motif +offensive +opengl -pam -xinerama
[nomerge      ]  gnome-extra/yelp-2.6.5  -debug
[nomerge      ]   gnome-base/libgnome-2.8.1  -debug -doc
[nomerge      ]    gnome-base/gnome-vfs-2.8.4-r1  -debug -doc +gnutls
+hal -howl -ipv6 +samba +ssl
[ebuild     UD]     sys-apps/hal-0.4.8 [0.5.2] -debug -doc -livecd
-pcmcia 1,321 kB
[ebuild     UD]      sys-apps/dbus-0.23.4 [0.33-r1] +X -debug +gtk +mono
-python +qt +xml2 1,258 kB
[ebuild     U ] kde-base/kdeartwork-styles-3.4.1 [3.4.0] -arts* -debug
+kdeenablefinal +kdexdeltas -xinerama 0 kB
[ebuild     U ]  kde-base/kdelibs-3.4.1 [3.4.0-r2] +alsa -arts* +cups
-debug -doc +jpeg2k +kdeenablefinal -kerberos -openexr +spell +ssl +tiff
-xinerama -zeroconf 16,458 kB
[ebuild     UD]   app-admin/gamin-0.0.26-r6 [0.1.0-r1] -debug -doc 472 kB
[nomerge      ] sys-libs/libstdc++-v3-3.3.4  -debug +nls
[nomerge      ]   media-libs/freetype-2.1.9-r1  -bindist -debug -doc +zlib
[nomerge      ]    sys-libs/glibc-2.3.5  -build -debug -erandom
-hardened (-multilib) +nls -nomalloccheck +nptl -nptlonly +pic +userlocales
[nomerge      ]     sys-devel/gcc-3.4.3.20050110-r2  (-altivec)
-bootstrap -boundschecking -build -debug +fortran -gcj +gtk -hardened
-ip28 (-multilib) +multislot (-n32) (-n64) +nls -nocxx -nopie -nossp
-objc -static
[nomerge      ]      sys-devel/gcc-config-1.3.10-r2
[nomerge      ]       sys-apps/portage-2.0.51.19  -build -debug (-selinux)
[ebuild  NS   ]        dev-lang/python-2.4.1  +X -berkdb -bootstrap
-build -debug -doc +gdbm -ipv6 +ncurses -nocxx +readline +ssl +tcltk
-ucs2 0 kB

I just don't see where Python 2.4.1 is coming from (since everything in
the -D tree for it was perfectly fine with Python 2.3.5), and the new
stuff that originally installed it is a) being downgraded to a version
that should be (or was previously) fine with 2.3.5, and b) does not seem
to specifically require 2.4.1; if Python is mentioned in the
dependencies of one of them-- and the only one that does mention it is
dbus, and that only with the USE flag set-- the requirement is a >= ,
not an =2.4.1.

It seems to me that installing Python 2.4.1 to a new slot is just going
to cause me yet more trouble atm, given that there are so many other
things that need to be set up before it can successfully do whatever it
wants or needs to do (still assuming this is related to hal/dbus/ivman).

Since my only working DE atm is KDE (haven't had time to set up
Openbox), I really need to upgrade to 3.4.1, as 3.4.0 is annoyingly
unstable. That means that the whole gentopia ivman business has to be
put on hold anyway since KDE doesn't work with it, and I do not want to
go into an [U] ==> [D] ==> [U] loop for no reason (if I can get GNOME
fixed, it would be OK temporarily until I got rid of KDE).

Anyway, does this twisted tale make any sense to anybody and

1) am I panicking over nothing
2) if I am not panicking over nothing, how do I stop this juggernaut
before it lands me in the soup again?

Thanks for any help,
Holly
Holly, have you tried /usr/portage/package.mask? I'm coming in on this a little late, but I did read
some of your other posts-always a good read!
As for the other (hal, dbus, kde) have you put in USE flags for these and run emerge -p world --newuse?
That has fixed some problems I've had.

--
Edward A Mihalow Jr   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gentoo Linux! Registered Linux User#225662