Well, then I guess I wouldnt know.  Thats the only way I've ever been
able to get Konsole or Gnome Terminal to use real alpha transperency.  I
would check your Xorg config for that Extmod line I mentioned in the
other post.  Without it, you cant use real alpha transperency (well at
least in my experiences anyways).