Thanks to all who answered.

In the end it was the specific hard drive that caused this problem. I
happened upon an 8GB drive that still had an old Fedora installation
on it. while it didn't work, with that drive in I had no problems
booting or running grub. Fedora started booting and then died for
numerous hardware reasons. Armed with that info I blew away the
partitions, installed Gentoo from scratch and 3 hours later have a
working Pundit-R sitting atop my TV.

Now, on to build apps and get MythTV working.

cheers,
Mark