It's likely that gnome-base/gdm isn't in your world file.  An easy way
to check this is:

grep gnome-base/gdm /var/lib/portage/world

It's more than likely a dependancy of some other gnome project that
hasn't upgraded its requirements to gdm.  A way to upgrade
dependancies is to add --deep or just -D to your emerge world, e.g.

emerge -Duva world

One other useful flag you may have missed is also --newuse or -N,
which rechecks use flags on all packages, just in case you've tweaked
your flags recently.