--- Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>    Is there anything specific that must be built
> into a kernel to boot
> from a USB flash drive?
>
>    I'm fiddling with my first flash drive to see how
> well it might
> work for my Pundit-R MythTV frontend box. (to reduce
> noise - no hard
> drive) I've gotten as far as grub starting, choosing
> the kernel, and
> the kernel starts booting. It goes cleanly through
> the first part of
> the boot, but then it gets to the point where (I
> think) the kernel is
> going to start with all of the OK messages. At that
> point it tells me
> that there's some kind of a VFS sync problem, or
> something like that.
>
>    Now the drive is completely accessible when I
> boot from my hard
> drive and mount it from the command line. No modules
> are required to
> do this so I assume there is the appropriate stuff
> in the kernel. Here
> are the modules loaded when reading the drive:
>
> myth11 linux # lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> snd_usb_audio          63680  0
> snd_usb_lib            11520  1 snd_usb_audio
> snd_rawmidi            20640  1 snd_usb_lib
> snd_atiixp             17120  0
> snd_ac97_codec         75384  1 snd_atiixp
> fglrx                 240380  0
> agpgart                28968  1 fglrx
> myth11 linux #
>
> Here's what I think is the major clue:
>
> First, when it fails to boot, it  tells me that it
> cannot find
> /dev/sda2. Immediately following that it identifies
> the Maxtor flash
> drive, see two partitions, and says they are called
> sda1 and sda2.
>
>    So, is this some sort of ordering problem? Does
> the kernel possibly
> need a boot line config option to tell it to boot
> from SCSI or
> something?

Hi Mark,

I boot from a usb hard disk and I don't really have to
do anything special.  Well, actually I load modules
from a genkernel initrd but that doesn't apply here
since you built in the drivers.

This is the same exact kernel that you were using from
the hard drive, right?  What's your kernel command
line?  I assume that the error occurs when the kernel
goes to mount the root filesystem.  Exact details of
that error may be helpful.

Zac