I left the default java as blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.01 so emerging doesn't
break, then set my Eclipse up to run using sun-jdk-1.5.0.03
(/usr/bin/eclipse-3 -vm /opt/sun-jdk-1.5.0.03/bin/java).  I usually launch
my programs via a script and for now just specify the jre in the script.

BTW, 1.5 offers a real nice new feature.  Drum roll please...
XDnD support.

Then of course, the real enums look sweet...  I'm itching to find an
excuse to play with them.  Not so sure about the annotations... my
first impression is there be dragons.

I'll admit that I'm currently waiting for Eclipse 3.1 to be not
hard-masked.  When I last looked, the 3.1 ebuilds were requiring gcc 4
which I haven't been brave enough to try...

Have fun,
Roy