* On Jun 13 16:42, Qian Qiao (gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org) wrote:
> As the title suggested, I've got a box with very limited disk space,
> is it possible to sync only the packages currently installed and their
> dependencies with the portage tree and leave out the rest?

I'll assume you're clearing out /usr/portage/distfiles, which you don't
really need once things are installed.  As for your suggestion, I don't
think it's possible, but you can set the following in /etc/make.conf -

RSYNC_EXCLUDEFROM=/etc/portage/rsync_excludes

Then, use /etc/portage/rsync_excludes to list top-level categories that
you don't want rsync to get.  For example, my file is the following:

app-emacs
app-i18n
app-laptop
app-xemacs
dev-ada
games-kids
gnustep-apps
gnustep-base
gnustep-libs
media-radio
media-tv
net-wireless
sys-cluster

I don't use any of those, and they don't contain deps of anything I do
use, so I don't see the purpose of wasting everyone's bandwidth.
(Actually, the list could probably use a few additions, I haven't touched
it in around a year.)
Tom