That option (-mfpmath=sse,387) was deemed unstable on the gcc page
that Bruno posted on this thread. Quoting:
"Use this option with care, as it is still experimental, because the
GCC register allocator does not model separate functional units well
resulting in instable performance. "

I think it is better to set sse on a USE flag so if a program is made
to use them (i.e. X.org), it can, but it doesn't affect the other
packages that weren't made with them in mind.