> lspci -v reveals:
> 0000:00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
> VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
>         Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. A7V8X-X Motherboard
>         Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 22
>         I/O ports at e000
>         Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

I have the same card integrated into the mobo of one of my systems. I
get the same "no soundcards found" message during kernel boot-up.

However, I was able to move forward anyway using the instructions at
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml#doc_chap3 and everything
seemed to work fine. The only quirk I ran into was that the output
volume of my card was controlled by the "headphone" volume setting in
alsamixer.

Matt