* W.Kenworthy ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Gentoo is not designed to save space, or rather isnt worried about space
> is a better way to describe it.

Well, I can understand this.  With modern machines who exactly is
using the kind of drive I am right now?  Yesterday in the local
Circuit City I noticed that you cannot even buy a 40 gig drive
anymore.  Just too small I guess.

Just like the installation itself.  Now just everybody it seems has a
broadband connection and so that is how things work.  But people like
me living on dial-up, sad huh?, cannot install an entire system
downloading it a bit at a time.  It would take a year.  I have to go
to another computer and download one iso and burn it to bring home,
and can only do this once or twice a month.  That is why I am using
the universal installation disc and the packages disc.  I would much
rather have source packages and compile them myself in the traditional
manner, but I cannot download so many files.  It is a work computer
which I cannot oversee and so must go with one click downloads.  If
there were several iso images available of the files which I could use
then I would go with that, but as it is I have to compromise.  I
understand why, but wish it were a bit different.

> Some things you can do : delete /usr/portage/distfiles/* - can save
> lots, but often the same distfile is used for updates/rebuilds, so I
> would copy them to another system running rsync (point make.conf to it)
> if possible and clean this directory on a regular basis.
>
> portage can be put on a compressed loopback which is supposed to give
> good gains, both in space and speed.
>
> Use flags: some ebuilds like xorg have a "minimal" use flag.  "-docs"
> which removes extra documentation is also a good one.
>
> Look into building only one or two locales which saved a huge amount of
> space, but I did run into some errors because of things some apps were
> expecting were reomoved - a full emerge -ep may have fixed this tho.
>
> Keep only the current kernel installed (or delete all of them!
> - /usr/src/linux*)  If you want to keep the kernel source, do a "make
> clean" after install to save a few hundred M.
>
> Use one partition for the bulk of the system to avoid wasting space.
>
> A problem with the above is that its hard to remove all the fluff on
> built system, so the best effect is on a new install.  Believe it or
> not, it is possible to put a fully usable desktop with office apps on a
> bootable 256M USB key with room to spare!  Very tricky methods used, but
> thats the fun of it.
>
> BillK

Thanks for all of these tips.  I am definitely going to keep them to
look into as I find out just how things are working.  Cleaning up the
kernel files is certainly something I should have thought of.  I am
going to do that right now, and I am going to look in the distfiles
directory as well.

Many thanks,

patrick