Bob Sanders wrote:

>>How about benchmarks?  Has anyone seen benchmarks of dump vs. partimage vs.
>>tar vs. rsync vs. cp?  That would be interesting.
>>

> Why?  The task is to move the data from one partition to a new
> disk/partition.  Getting it
> reliably done, in a repeatable, sane, manner is more important than speed.
> Using something
> like dump/xfsdump, the limiting factor is drive i/o or the disk channel
> depending upon the
> setup.  Also, a journaling filesystem will impose a certain amount of
> overhead and disk writes
> are going to be the bottleneck.  The only question is - which keeps the
> target's disk buffer full?
>
> The max transfer rate can be calculated from hard drive sustained sequential
> write
> performance,  the max speed, minus the overhead of the file system.  The
> assumptions are
> dma is used, drives are on different controller channels, and memory is
> sufficient.
>
> Bob

Why?  Just a simple thought exercise :-).  The drive i/o being the limiting
factor seems like a good assumption.  The only thing I can think of that might
cause one tool perform better than another would be sequential vs.
nonsequential writes.  Something like partimage might be able to do it with
more sequential writes.

Zac