On Friday 17 June 2005 19:55, Antoine wrote:
> Our company is going to be bidding for a contract that will require
> about 45 lan connections (08:00 to 20:00) and a few web connections to
> an Oracle database.
> The contract states that we can only have 1 hr max downtime per month
> (pretty generous really, I thought) and the boss, his head in dark and
> nether regions, is, of course, looking at winders servers.
> I must admit, I have no knowledge in this area, except that Windows is
> not the best choice for high availability! Or is it? Seeing as it pretty
> much only has to run Oracle, what would people suggest? Linux (and if
> Linux - Redhat, Suse, Gentoo,...)? BSD? Or would it definitely be worth
> the dolleros to go for an AIX or Solaris + Hardware solution? Or is he
> right in thinking that Server 2003 is best?
> We would obviously not be able to spend massive amounts, so a $30000+
> solution is not on the cards...

I know of a big-ass HA Oracle system at a previous employer.
It was an Oracle 9i RAC system, consisting of 3x boxes, dual fibre channel
switches, dual FC arrays stuffed with SCSI disks, and finally a big quad CPU
box as a failover for the failover/redundant/resilient RAC! I think there was
a master server for the RAC in there too.
That system IS NOT going down, at all, ever (unless something absolutely
catastrophic happens, all the kit is in the same room).
All Dell stuff, running RedHat. As Byron says, RedHat is one of the few
distros Oracle will support. SLES is another, and thats what we run our
Oracle 8 installs on.

--
Mike Williams