Hi,
   As A. Khattri pointed out Linux-Sound.org is a good place to start,
but it can be quite overwhelming. While I'd not suggest a Gentoo-User
look at the distro too much, there is an off-shoot of Redhat/Fedora
called PlanetCCRMA. It has an audio optimized, low-latency kernel (why
doesn't Gentoo have this?) and lots of apps prebuilt for audio folks.
I point it out since the website has a very nice list of exactly the
sort of apps you are looking for:

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/packages.html

Pretty much all the apps are available through portage - just not the kernel.

   As for me I've been, until just two weeks ago, a long time Pro
Tools user. I just sold all my DigiDesign equipment and am working for
the foreseeable future with Ardour:

http://www.ardour.org

I use RME sound cards (HDSP 9652 and Hammerfall's) with external
A/D's, D/A's and other things. I do a moderate amount of host based
processing (reverbs, compressors, limiters, gates, EQ's, etc.) under
Linux. I don't tend to use too many synths but I do use samplers.
Under Windows I use GigaStudio 3.0 and under Linux I use LinuxSampler.

http://www.linuxsampler.org

I've been one if the main testers of LinuxSampler since probably more
than 3 years ago.

   Other project of immense value under Linux (IMO) are Jamin, Muse &
Rosegarden.

   Running under every bit of this is Jack-Audio-connection-Kit.
Without it none of this would work nearly so well.

   I'm probably forgetting many important things. Certain jack_fst for
running Windows VST in Jack using Wine is very cool. There are
probably 20 more.

   Hope this helps. Have fun and write if you'd like to talk.

cheers,
Mark