Somewhere around Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 04:26:26PM +0200, a message
from Richard Fish went like this:
> I took another look at the /etc/pcmcia/network script, and it seems that
> it will run a the '/etc/pcmcia/wireless' script if it exists first,
> which will try to set the channel if you have one specified in
> /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts.  So, there seems to be a disconnect between
> the pcmcia-cs scripts and the baselayout scripts on how the wireless
> options should be specified and loaded.

> Well, that explains it!
>
> So, as the message says, the 'official' ways to get around this is to set:
>
>     essid_eth1="any"
>
> or:
>
>     prefered_aps_eth1=( "Speeder" )
>     associate_order_eth1="forcepreferredonly"
>
> or a couple of other methods that don't sound as interesting.  The
> comments in wireless.example have the full documentation.
>
> There is also the brute-force method, which is to remove the iwconfig
> module from the eth1 module list, and create a preup function in
> /etc/conf.d/net that associates the wireless before ifconfig or the dhcp
> client runs.

I've tried the preferred_aps_eth1, associate_order_eth1 route and did not have
any luck with that, just a different error message. I've also tried the
essid_eth1 any trick, still no love. However, I rebooted my laptop for the first
time in a few days and found that it would no longer work manually anymore!!! I
kept getting messages about an invalid option when trying to set the key with
iwconfig. So to make a long story short, I took the key which looked like
112233445566778899aabbccd and made it into 1122-3344-5566-7788-99aa-bbcc-dd.
Then iwconfig stopped complaining, dhcpcd worked and I was in. I modified the
wireless script but have yet to try it out. I'll report back when I get some
work done.

Bill

--
Protect your computer - Browse with Firefox!
Gentoo Linux - Flexible, Powerful

You may have the loftiest goals, the highest ideals,
the noblest dreams, but remember this, nothing works
unless you do.
                        Nido Quebein