Hi,
this might be a mighty stupid question, but I have no experience on recompiling kernel...

I followed the instructions from the HOWTO and now I have to copy the new configuration to /boot.
My problem is that I assume that the new configuration replaces the previous one. So, I would need to replace all files.
My previous kernel has:
/boot/kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r9
/boot/initrd-2.6.11-gentoo-r9
/boot/System.map-2.6.11-gentoo-r9

And what I am supposed to copy are:
- new kernel (bzImage)
- new System.map
- .config -> /boot/config-XX

The .config replaces initrd (which I think it doesn't), or I keep the initrd from the previous and add this config file?

I am also aware of the "make install" option, but I guess this way is faster (since it does not rebuilds the kernel).

Thanks.