On 6/22/05, Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I re-arranged your message a bit to make the answers flow a bit better.
>
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > Hey Richard,
> > So this Pundit-R is driving the S-Video input on a TV set.
>

> Oops, I forgot you were doing that...sorry.
>
> > Can you recommend where I'd look to find the right settings for
> > driving a TV input with the radeon driver and 9100 IGP chipset?
>

> Well, you already got farther than I did with the radeon driver and
> S-Video output....I never got anything to display!  Unfortuantely, I am
> 6000 miles away from anything with an S-Video input (in France), and
> won't be home for another month, so I cannot do any testing on my end to
> see...

That's fine. Enjoy France. Nice time of year I suppose.

> As for a specific guide for getting a TV display to work with the radeon
> driver, no I haven't found anything.  But, you might want to try setting
> the CRT2HSync and CRT2VRefresh settings with the radeon driver.  I am
> assuming that the S-Video output is being operated as the secondary
> monitor, and the defaults for these are "undefined".  See "man radeon"
> for the gory details.

I'll look at this. Actually I have BIOS on these machines set to use
SVideo as the primary output, and it all works, in general, with the
fglrx driver.

> > Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
> > [drm] Initialized drm 1.0.0 20040925
> > ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:01:05.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
> > [drm] Initialized radeon 1.14.0 20050125 on minor 0: PCI device
> > 1002:5834 (ATI Technologies Inc)
> > <SNIP>
> > [drm:radeon_cp_init] *ERROR* radeon_cp_init called without lock held
> > [drm:drm_unlock] *ERROR* Process 6162 using kernel context 0

I haven't been back to check this again yet. I've taken two Pundit-R's
and moved them to the new ~x86 ati-driver package.

> Ouch, that doesn't look good.  But maybe this can help:
>
> http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DriTroubleshooting
>
> It seems you need to load the chipset-specific AGP driver in addition to
> agpgart.

Yes, I found this about an hour or two ago. With that loaded I no
longer get the agpgart messages and I'm getting better glxgears
performance now so that's cool. However I get about 2000 FPS from my
laptop with it's Radeon 9200:

0000:01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M9+ 5C61
[Radeon Mobility 9200 (AGP)] (rev 01)

but only about 200FPS from the Pundit-R's 9100:

0000:01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon 9100 IGP

Both machines use the same basic chipset. The laptop:

flash ~ $ /sbin/lspci
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon 9100 IGP Host
Bridge (rev 02)
0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon 9100 IGP AGP Bridge

The Pundit-R:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ /sbin/lspci
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon 9100 IGP Host
Bridge (rev 02)
0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon 9100 IGP AGP Bridge

The laptop uses 2.6.11-gentoo-r6 while the Pundit-R uses an older
2.6.11-gentoo-r3.

I guess the next thing is to update the kernel. I have a very hard
time beleiving the performance difference should be 10x!!

Oh, one other thing I found. When I tell the Pundit-R to do this:

opengl-update xorg-x11

then glxgears runs. However if I use opengl-update ati then the
machine locks up hard wen running glxgears. This happens with both the
8.12.10 driver as well as the newer ~x86 driver. I haven't tried this
on my laptop.

Take care,
Mark