> Just to get the obvious out of the way, the USE flag is "X" (uppercase),
> not "x" (lower case).
>
> Was that a typo? It should work with -X set in either /etc/make.conf or
> /etc/portage/package.use (for mPlayer only).

yes: I use ufed so no way to get a wrong make.conf..

> You'd probably also want "+fbcon"--

here is my USE:

bluetooth bootsplash cdrom divx4linux dv dvb dvd dvdr dvdread fb fbcon
ffmpeg freetype ieee1394 image imlib2 irda matrox mixer mjpeg mod
mplayer mythtv network nfs rar real reiserfs subp subtitles usb v4l
v4l2 vcd win32codecs -X -arts -berkdb -bitmap-fonts -emboss
-foomaticdb -gnome -gpm -gtk -gtk2 -imlib -ipv6 -kde -libg++ -motif
-nls -oggvorbis -opengl -oss -pdflib -perl -qt -spell -truetype
-truetype-fonts -type1-fonts -xml2 -xmms -xv

>  useflag fbcon
> /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc:fbcon - Adds framebuffer support for the
> console, via the kernel
>
> ... and of course you'd want an appropriate framebuffer driver compiled
> into your kernel, and the modules for said framebuffer device loaded.

fb side looks ok

> Hope this helps,
> Holly

thanks...