I had this kind of problem, if you had the same as me, its not that
root can't run any program, its just that when you run as root you
can't access the display (Window Manager) and so, can't create a
window, and thus, do not open...

I really don't know how to solve this, but I used to run a second X on
F8 to get this programs running...

On 6/23/05, Zac Medico <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Michael W. Holdeman wrote:

> >>I experienced some similar strangeness with the K Menu when I upgraded to
> >>KDE 3.4.1 but that was with the monolithic ebuilds.  Now I'm using kde
> >>split ebuilds (kde-meta) and everything seems to work pretty well.
> >>
> >>K Menu -> System -> More Applications -> File Manager - Super User Mode
> >>
> >>I tried that menu option and it seems to work fine.  I can open text files
> >>with kedit.  I have kdelibs-3.4.1-r1, kdesu-3.4.1, and konqueror-3.4.1.
> >>
> >>Zac
> >
> > Strange, same versions here. I re-emerged kdelibs, kdesu, and konqueror just
> > today. Strange thing is that emerging the files does not add them to the
> > menu's? I don't have a more programs under System. And konqueror does not
> > get
> > added to Internet section either?
> > I have another desktop machine and they work fine...
> > Mike
>
> Are all the package versions exactly the same as the other desktop machine?
> Sometimes I do "qpkg -I -v -nc | sort > package_list.txt" and then use diff
> to compare all the package versions.  What version of qt do you have? Mine is
> the stable qt-3.3.4-r3.  Maybe there is a clue in emerge --info.
>
> Zac
> --

Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil