Holly Bostick wrote:
> OK, since this is getting to be kind of a whole "thing", I've split it off.
>
> This message is (or should be) signed. Hopefully using PGP/MIME, which,
> if I understand Neil correctly, is what I'm supposed to do.
>
> You all have undoubtedly realized by now that I have little experience
> and less understanding of GPG keys and their proper use; I only have one
> because last year (which is why the key is from 2004), I was
> corresponding with someone who preferred encrypted email. Now that I've
> got my reinstall relatively stable-- at the time of the key's creation,
> I was using Gentoo, which I broke, and in the meantime, I'd switched to
> SuSE, where I didn't use my backed-up keyrings at all, and back to
> Gentoo-- and got Enigmail working again, I figure it's time to learn at
> least how to use my keys properly. Even if I don't seem to have much use
> for them now, you never know when it might come in handy.
>
> I think I've pretty much got a handle on full encryption (not only did I
> exchange several encrypted mails last year, but today I sent myself a
> test mail, which I was able to decrypt), but the signing is kinda wiping
> the floor with me, apparently.
>
> OK, so Neil said:
>
> Neil Bothwick schreef:
>
>>On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:26:43 +0200, Holly Bostick wrote:
>>

>>>But this whole episode has at least gotten me to finally upload my own
>>>key, so I've (hopefully) signed this message.
>>

>>Yes, but as an inline signature, not as a MIME message part, which is
>>the preferred way of doing it.
>

> Right.... that means, I think, that the default setting in Enigmail's
> PGP/MIME settings-- "Allow PGP/MIME"-- should be set to "Always use
> PGP/MIME". Is that correct? The point being-- as I understand it-- that
> MIME parts have something to do with IMAP, which I don't use (yet), but
> many others do, especially those likely to be desiring signed or
> encrypted mail, so it's just better to use it by default? Fine, then let
> me know if this message, transmitted using the new setting, arrived with
> the signature correctly as a MIME message part.

MIME has nothing to do with IMAP - its just a different way way to attach the
signature. You can either do it as normal text, that goes something like:

-- BEGIN GPG SIGNED MESSAGE --
Bla bla bla
-- BEGIN SIGNATURE --
yada yada yada
-- END SIGNATURE --

Or something along those lines.

PGP/MIME adds the signature as an attachment - which is usually a good idea, but
it breaks some things (I know of one free webmail that breaks attachments if I
use PGP/MIME ... ).

> [...]
>
>>(10)    Holly Bostick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>          1024 bit DSA key 94456400, created: 2004-07-05
>
> <snip>
>
>>there are many more, reached till 123 and there's more ;)
>>2.running: "gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --search-key Holly" gets this
>>...BEGIN...
>>gpg: searching for "Holly" from hkp server random.sks.keyserver.penguin.de
>
> <snip me not winding up in the first 25 hits>
>
>>...END...
>>Searching with '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (on both) results the in same one
>>entry above.
>>This key is from 2004:
>>(1)     Holly Bostick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>          1024 bit DSA key 94456400, created: 2004-07-05
>

> Which is my key, so it's out there somewhere. But I am wondering if it
> is in some way incomplete or improperly aliased-- or was "Holly" too
> general a search as opposed to "Bostick"? Yes, apparently so; replacing
> --search-key Holly with --search-key Bostick comes up with me first on
> both searches. Not so much that I'm hyped on being first, but at least
> it means I'm easily found if someone's looking.
>
> So that seems OK then, but I still have a few questions:
>
> 1) My key is set to never expire (afaik). Is that OK, or should I
> generate a new key... I dunno, every 3 months or something? That seems
> to negate the whole idea of having a key in the first place, but....
> what do I know?
>
> 2) Do I need to create a digital certificate? Is it any good if it's
> self-signed? Or should I go to the archives and find that site that will
>  generate one for me?
>
> 3) On the same note, I don't have a "Web of Trust"; my key is unsigned
> (naturally), and the keys I've collected from this list I have not dared
> to specify trust levels for. Should I be concerned about this, and take
> steps to rectify the situation with all due haste? If so, how would I go
> about that? All I've heard of are key-signing parties, which seem
> unlikely be a feasible option for me.
>
> 4) Clearly no one I am in contact with seems to really care if I sign my
> emails by default, but should I protect them from themselves and do so
> anyway? Are there any benefits to this good habit, especially since my
> key is unsigned anyway?
>
> 5) If I take up the habit of signing my emails, is it unreasonably
> dangerous to also set "No password for user" in the Enigmail options? I
> know that if I have to dig up my complex and unique password every time
> I send an email (in order to sign it), I'm not going to sign them, but
> if not requiring the complex and unique password opens a high
> possibility of compromising the key itself (because if I was hacked,
> said miscreant could send signed emails "from me" because s/he doesn't
> have to know the complex and unique password in order to do so), then I
> suppose I'd have to just suck it up (assuming that there's some
> overriding benefit in me taking up this habit in the first place).

^-- Personal preferences... :/ --^

--
[Name      ]   ::  [Matan I. Peled    ]
[Location  ]   ::  [Israel            ]