On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 15:22 -0400, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> I'm looking to buy a portable music player, but I'm not sure what to
> get, so I'm polling for recommendations.
>
> Ogg/Vorbis support is a *requirement*, as is a Linux interface to the
> device.
>
> I'd prefer to be able to simply mount it as a USB device, but as long as
> I can add/remove/view the contents of the player from Linux it'll be
> fine.  A GPL/BSD firmware and/or Linux interface is a plus.
>
> I'm not set on hard drive or flash based so feel free to recommend on
> either or both.

I had a Rio Karma for quite a while. This was a great little player. It
played ogg files, and it came with a base with RCA outputs. The base
could be located at your home stereo, with an ethernet connection to
your linux box. There's a java-based "light" client for it that works
under Linux and connects via USB or ethernet.

Only problem I had was that I really had to baby the device or I'd crash
the hard drive. I roasted 2 drives, then ebay'd the 2nd replacement unit
so I could buy a flash player.

I now use an Apple iPod mini (unfortunately no ogg support) with gtkpod.
But it'd be worth checking out some of the other (flash-based) offerings
from Rio to see if they support ogg and the java manager interface.

Dave