A. Khattri wrote:

>On Sun, 3 Jul 2005, Ian K wrote:
>

>>ReiserFS: hda4: Using rd5 hash to sort names
>>VFS: Cannot open root device "hda4" or unknown-block(3,4)
>>Please append a correct "root=" boot option
>>Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
>>unknown-block(3,4)
>>
>>So you know:
>>hda1 = NTFS
>>hda2 = boot
>>hda3 = swap
>>hda4 = root
>>
>>I need lots of help!
>>Thanks!
>>Ian

>>important files of
>>mine? It said 'fsck?' does this mean it could be recoverable? Again, my
>>higher priority
>>

>I boot off the LiveCD then run fsck on the partitions:
>
># fsck -y /dev/hda4
>
>If it successfully fixes it then you can reboot (remove CD) hopefully back
>into Linux.

Here are the results:

# fsck -y /dev/hda4

#######
reiserfsck
#######
Replaying Journal..
Reiserfs journal '/dev/hda4' in blocks [18.8211]: 0 transactions replayed
Checking internal tree../ 1 (of   4)block 32866; The level of the node
(28521) is not correct, (3)
    expected.
 the problem in the internal node occured (32866), whole subtree is skipped
finished
Comparing bitmaps..vpf-10640: The on-disk and the correct bitmaps differs.
Bad nodes were found, Semantic pass skipped
1 found corruptions can be fixed only when running with --rebuild-tree
#######
reiserfsck finished <date>
#######

Thats the output.