On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:41:57 +0200
Holly Bostick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Now, $DEITY forbid I should mix into this heated discussion (despite
> myself being an ATI user with a fair number of opinions on the subject).

But Holly, I've not noticed you being all that restrained in the past.
Especially
given the amount of problems you've had with the ATI drivers under Linux. :)

> So my point is-- I completely admit that I don't know anything about
> this at all, but I do know (from experience) that resolutions that the
> monitor is capapble of can be disabled by the manufacturer's released
> drivers, which can be limited to below the monitor's actual specs,
> probably to provide a "better user experience".
>
> Is it possible that your issue is not really with the proprietary video
> card drivers at all, but with the proprietary monitor drivers?

In the case of the SGI FP1600SW, I can state that it's not the monitor.
I was one of the people responsible for the QA of the monitor under
Irix, Linux, and WinNT running Number9 and Nvidia cards and drivers.

When I stated I got the mode lines from the designer, I worked with the original
engineers of the Flat Panel monitor and the Droid aka Multi-link adapter
that converts LVDS to DVI-D and DVI-A.

The ironic thing is SGI seeded both ATI and Nvidia with engineers.   All of whom
are familiar with the FP1600SW.  Every last one of them should know better
than to release a driver that doesn't support it.  I never thought I would
have to file the exact same bug that I filed years ago.

Bob
-