Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 7/7/05, Christian Heim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Hi Christian,
>    Thanks for the response. There were just two problems, as best I
> can tell. One was in the upper level makefile which the second was in
> a more tecnical piece of code. I'm providing the output here more for
> conversation and not really asking for technical help on changing
> code. This is just for my learning.
>
>    In the first one it appears that Gentoo does an extra version so I
> can probably fake my way around this but changing the patch file
> itself to expect the Gentoo kernel I want to patch. Is that a
> reasonable strategy?

Make, if I understood you right, you would like to do the prempt stuff
ontop of gentoo-sources, right ?

Well then simply do the following:

# emerge a fresh copy of gentoo-sources
$ emerge gentoo-sources

# create a copy (or call it a fork ;)) of this kernel-directory
$ cd /usr/src
$ rsync -rt --progress linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r4/* linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r4.orig

# now go on and apply your patch to the
linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r4-directory. Once you are done, just go back to
/usr/src and create a diff between plain gentoo-sources and your
prempt-patched gentoo-sources.

$ cd /usr/src
$ diff -Nrup linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r4.orig linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r4 >
gentoo-sources-2.6.12-r4-prempt.patch

> In the first one it appears that Gentoo does an extra version so I
> can probably fake my way around this but changing the patch file
> itself to expect the Gentoo kernel I want to patch. Is that a
> reasonable strategy?

See above ;)

> In the second, since it's apparently just a difference in brakets
> I'm more curious about why gentoo-sources would differ from what Ingo
> was apparently expectinb in the kernel config file, but again it seems
> pretty minor. Would you agree?

Yeah, those rejects are really pretty minor. I guess these brakets
differences result from vesafb. But that's only a guess.

> Thanks,
> Mark
>
> Makefile.rej:
> ***************
> *** 1,7 ****
>   VERSION = 2
>   PATCHLEVEL = 6
>   SUBLEVEL = 12
> - EXTRAVERSION =
>   NAME=Woozy Numbat
>
>   # *DOCUMENTATION*
> --- 1,7 ----
>   VERSION = 2
>   PATCHLEVEL = 6
>   SUBLEVEL = 12
> + EXTRAVERSION = -RT-V0.7.51-11
>   NAME=Woozy Numbat
>
>   # *DOCUMENTATION*
>

> drivers/video/console/fbcon.c.rej:
>
> ***************
> *** 1092,1101 ****
>         struct display *p = &fb_display[vc->vc_num];
>         struct fbcon_ops *ops = info->fbcon_par;
>
> -       if (!fbcon_is_inactive(vc, info))
>                 ops->putcs(vc, info, s, count, real_y(p, ypos), xpos,
>                            get_color(vc, info, scr_readw(s), 1),
>                            get_color(vc, info, scr_readw(s), 0));
>   }
>
>   static void fbcon_putc(struct vc_data *vc, int c, int ypos, int xpos)
> --- 1091,1101 ----
>         struct display *p = &fb_display[vc->vc_num];
>         struct fbcon_ops *ops = info->fbcon_par;
>
> +       if (!fbcon_is_inactive(vc, info)) {
>                 ops->putcs(vc, info, s, count, real_y(p, ypos), xpos,
>                            get_color(vc, info, scr_readw(s), 1),
>                            get_color(vc, info, scr_readw(s), 0));
> +       }
>   }
>
>   static void fbcon_putc(struct vc_data *vc, int c, int ypos, int xpos)

Regards Christian