> >>I'm not sure here (but someone will point if I'm mistaken), but ppp
> >>init script is intend to bring up adsl based connections, while you
> >>need a dialler to connect dial-up, back in the days I had dial-up I
> >>used minicom, and later kppp to handle this... In fact, you need to
> >>set your device (usually /dev/modem) and use a program to dial using
> >>that modem, this will create the ppp0 interface for you, and also
> >>(most of them) will set is as the default route. Any server with
> >>dial-up has configurations, and that's what your ISP have in their
> >>script, you just find them out and put the same config at your dialer.
> >>

> >Thanks Daniel, I'm really strung out here.  I do have the net.ppp0
> >interface now.  Maybe I just need to emerge and utilize minicom?  How
> >can I do that when all I have is a Gentoo system that can't get online
> >and an XP system that can dial up?
> >
> There are two options:
>
> 1.  Network the two machines (via Ethernet, FireWire...) and set up
> Internet Connection Sharing on XP.  Tell the Gentoo box to use the XP
> box as its gateway and DNS server.  Make sure both machines use the IP
> range 192.168.0.x/255.255.255.0, the XP one being 192.168.0.1.
>
> 2.  Sneaker net--use emerge -fpu whatever 2>
> /mnt/removablemedia/download.txt, and then bring download.txt to Windows
> and use the Windows version of wget to get the files that you need.
> Then copy them over to the Gentoo box.
>
> I wrote a Wiki article on networkless installs.  You might find that
> helpful.
> http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Networkless_stage1_Install
>
> --
> Colin

Ok, thanks Colin.  I'm ready to do this to get minicom but are you
sure that is the missing piece of my puzzle?  I've asked about getting
dial-up working before and slmodem and ppp were the only mentioned
emerges.  /etc/conf.d/net.ppp0 sure looks like it's a configuration
file for normal dial-up connections.  It asks for a phone number to
dial and everything.  Please confirm that I really need minicom and I
will dig into that.

- Grant