Catalin Grigoroscuta wrote:

>> I've just rebuilt my system without "motif" use flag (with emerge
>> --newuse, etc).
>> Everything works fine, except that equery shows stale data.
>> For example:
>> 1. "equery depends emacs" shows openmotif as dependency, but emacs is
>> rebuilt without motif USE ("emerge -pv emacs" clearly shows this).

The depends query shows all depends regardless of whether they are enabled or
not (by USE flags).

>> 2. "equery hasuse motif" also shows emacs
>> Is there any caching done by equery? How can I invalidate it?

The hasuse query shows all USE flags regardless of whether they are enabled or
not.

There is no cache, it queries the database directly.

> I did not use esync, I did not even know about it, and I do not recall
> seeing it in install docs...
> It is quite strange why equery (which is in gentoolkit package) relies
> on eupdatedb (which is in esearch package), and gentoolkit does not
> depend on esearch.
> If it were not for your answer, I wouldn't have known about esync and
> eupdatedb.
> I think maybe the install docs should be updated, or at least put
> esearch as a dependency of gentoolkit.

Gentoolkit and equery do not depend on esearch.

> Even with eupdtaedb, same result.
> I think this might be a bug in equery. Should I put it in bugzilla?
> Here is the proof for what I think is a bug: see the output of "equery
> hasuse motif" and "equery uses emacs". The results are contradictory.

I explained this above.  If you file a bug then AFAIKT it's a feature request.

Zac