Hi,

   $ emerge PEAR-PEAR

>>> Install PEAR-PEAR-1.3.5 into /var/tmp/portage/PEAR-PEAR-1.3.5/image/
>>> category dev-php
/usr/portage/eclass/php-pear.eclass: line 47: pear: command not found

!!! ERROR: dev-php/PEAR-PEAR-1.3.5 failed.
!!! Function php-pear_src_install, Line 47, Exitcode 127
!!! (no error message)
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

   As you can see the error /usr/bin/pear is not found, exactly because the
.eclass which
installs PHP in the first place is not installed.

Catalin