Dmitry S. Makovey wrote:

>I recently updated portage tree & kernel and using usual
>
>genkernel --menuconfig --save-config all
>
>produced unbootable system :(
>Symptoms point most probably to udev being used by default etc. Here's
>what I have in grub.conf:
>
>title  Gentoo linux (updated)
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.12-gentoo-r4n root=/dev/ram0
>real_root=/dev/hda11 init=/linuxrc video=vesafb:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>splash=verbose gentoo=nodevfs udev devfs=nomount
> initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.12-gentoo-r4n
>

>I've tried to follow those:
>
>http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml
>http://webpages.charter.net/decibelshelp/LinuxHelp_UDEVPrimer.html
>http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Migrate_to_UDEV
>http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-FAQ
>
>But it doesn't look like it applies to my case or maybe I jumped too
>far ahead and udev is not fully supported yet?

Well, udev is most definitly supported, since as of 2.6.12 devfs has
been officially "removed" from the kernel.  Ok, technically only the
config option was removed, but you can expect that 2.6.13 will be
released without any devfs at all.

>Here's what I get booting (I'm writing it from memory mostly so don't
>think it's exact output):
>
>-install: applet not found
>/init: 41: ln: not found
>/init: 45: cat: not found

It looks to me like your /initramfs is completely screwed.  Whatever
created that missed copying a bunch of necessary utilities (or more
likely, a dependant library) to the /initramfs.  The "/init" messages
you see are almost certainly from the "/init" script in the initramfs.
Every line indicates it went to run a command, and either the command or
a library wasn't found.

I'm with Aj here...you need to skip genkernel and configure a kernel
from scratch.  Compile everything you need to boot (disk drivers, root
filesystem driver, etc) into the kernel statically (not as a module!).
Then get rid of the "initrd" line in grub, lose the real_root=, init=,
splash=, gentoo=, and devfs= options on the kernel command line, and
change the "root=" option to "root=/dev/hda11".

What a freakin' mess!

-Richard