A. Khattri <ajai <at> bway.net> writes:

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, James wrote:
>
> > Ahhh that's it:
> > # cat /usr/portage/metadata/timestamp
> > Tue Jul 12 13:06:52 UTC 2005
> >  # date
> > Wed Jul 13 12:05:26 UTC 2005
>
> On my machines, the master rsync server does a sync at 3am.
> The rest of the machines sync with the master server at 4am.
>
> This way there's no timing problems.

The timing problems have been eliminated. All dates and times
are  within a few second of each other now.
System/OS clocks have all been sync to cell phone time.
Bios/Hardware clocks are now sync'd to the System/OS clocks.

> > The clock (hw and OS) were off, by about25 minutes but that has
> > been correct now. /etc/crontab was set for 1:30

> I run ntpd on ALL my machines (If you want to get fancy, you could setup
> your rsync server to also be a local NTP master server and have the other
> machines sync their clocks with this server too - makes even more sense
> if you use NFS).

I don't want to run NTP right now, but later I will.
I do not use NFS, as each system has plenty of disk space.
I'm not a big fan of NFS.... YMMV.

Thanks for the ideas, although these are not the source of
my problems. I'm implementing Dave's scripts tonight. Then
I'll see what happens....

I think the inherent entropy associated with patience, is my greatest
source of errors, presently... If I'm wrong, we'll adjust things
externally, and then continue the epic battle with entropy.

Thanks,

James