Hello list.

I just decided to rebuild perl as I recently noticed that perl wasn't working
for me anymore. When I just happened to need to use it, of course.

As an aside, if perhaps relevant, I had a couple of problems with failed
compiles. As is usually is the fix for this machine, I opened the case, and the
compile finished. New perl installed, no big deal.

And then an emerge message indicated I should complete the update via
perl-cleaner. Ran perl-cleaner.

However, still, trying to run even perl -V yields:

Can't locate Config.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i686-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i686-linux
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i686-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5 /usr/local/lib/site_perl
.).
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.

. . .

I finally noticed that the @INC doesn't include the new perl folder for 5.8.6.
Ah.

Looking into it, it would seem that 'which perl' gives /usr/local/bin/perl.
This is, apparently, not a link. It is, however the perl that is broken... but

ls -l /usr/bin/perl
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 9 Jul 13 16:46 /usr/bin/perl -> perl5.8.6

and

/usr/bin/perl -V

Does work... as expected. So, what happened? And, how do I fix it?

 # cd /usr/local/bin
 bin # mv perl perl5.8.5

Okay. That wasn't so good. I got a failed reference to /usr/local/bin/perl from
bash, so I tried:

# cp /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/perl

And that seems to work. But, my question is, still, why was there another perl
in /usr/local/bin... Could be it got promoted in my path somehow?

And why would bash still look for /usr/local/bin/perl when I run a script, when
/usr/bin has a perl that is working (and is the one that's #!referenced at the
top of my script anyway)?

TIA for any enlightenment in this area. '-)

--
|    |ichael |   |iggins    \^ /
michael[dot]higgins[at]snet[dot]net