Mark Knecht wrote:
What's throwing me is that the libraw1394 emerge makes this limited complaint:

Required /dev/raw1394 device file not found.
Run 'make dev' to create it.

This is more suited for the old-style 'static' /dev, where /dev was just a load of device nodes stored on disk.

With more modern solutions (devfs/udev), you don't ever have to worry about creating device nodes, they are created automatically when the appropriate driver is loaded. Its safe to ignore this warning on Gentoo.

It seems to me that if the device was moved by either udev or the
Gentoo developers then shouldn't this package have been modified to
understand that and not throw a message like this? Or is there
possibly supposed to be a link of some type from /dev/raw1394 to
/dev/raw/raw1394?

I forgot about this one. This is a udev rule problem, which is supposed to deal with other raw devices, but not raw1394. It's been fixed for future udev versions, but for now, you can do this:

# echo 'KERNEL="raw1394", SYMLINK="%k"' > /etc/udev/rules.d/10-raw1394.rules
# udevstart

Daniel